TAO Research team
Machine Learning and Optimisation
- Leader : Marc Schoenauer
- Research center(s) : CRI Saclay - Île-de-France
- Field : Applied Mathematics, Computation and Simulation
- Theme : Optimization, machine learning and statistical methods
- Partner(s) : Université Paris-Sud (Paris 11),CNRS
- Collaborator(s) : Laboratoire de recherche en informatique (LRI) (UMR8623)
- Machine Learning can be viewed as an optimization problem. A critical issue, that lead to the development of the Statistical Learning Theory, is that the objective function (the generalization error) is not exactly known.
- A common practive of several sub-fields of Evolutionary Computation (e.g. Multi-Objective Optimization, Constraint Handling, Co-evolution) is to gather and later exploit some archive of previously encountered solutions. An efficient use of such archive naturally appeals to Machine Learning techniques. The project TAO, result of a crossover between part of the Fractales group at INRIA Rocquencourt and part of the Inférence et Apprentissage group at LRI, thus aims at exploiting efficiently such a synergy between Machine Learning techniques and Evolutionary Algorithms.