SOCRATE Research team
Software and Cognitive radio for telecommunications
- Leader : Tanguy Risset
- Type : Project team
- Research center(s) : Grenoble
- Field : Networks, Systems and Services, Distributed Computing
- Theme : Networks and Telecommunications
- Partner(s) : Institut national des sciences appliquées de Lyon
- Collaborator(s) : Centre of Innovation in Telecommunications and Integration of services
The Socrate team part of the Citi laboratory located in Lyon, targets the emerging domain of software and cognitive radio. The team gathers research skills in computer science, signal processing and radio propagation; it is associated with three IT teaching departments of Insa-Lyon Engineering school.
A Software-Defined Radio SDR system is a radio communication system in which computations that in the past were typically implemented in hardware (e.g. mixers, filters, amplifiers, modulators/demodulators, detectors, etc.) are instead implemented as software programs. The SDR technology opens the door to cognitive radio: smart radio transceivers that can adapt to the radio environment and cooperate with other SDR equipements.
The goal of Socrate is to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of these technologies to propose innovative solution to the research challenges concerning Architecture and Software for SDR systems as well as distributed signal processing algorithms used in cognitive radio. The scientific added value of Socrate will come from the collaboration between technological (i.e. radio and waveform) scientists and embedded software researchers.
Socrate is organised along the following three axes:
- Flexible Radio Front-End: What will be radio system front-ends in next generation communication handhelds or embedded devices ?
- Agile Radio Resource Sharing: How the distributed signal processing algorithms will enhance performance and reduce the power consumption of communicating systems?
- Software Radio Programming Model: Which programming model will be used for these software radio communicating objects ?
Keywords: Software-Defined Radio Cognitive Radio Internet of Things Radio Resource Management Radio Resource Sharing Modeling Optimization Wireless Networking Architecture Operating Systems Wireless Systems Wireless Sensor and Actuator Networks Distributed and Localized Algorithms Spectrum sharing Spectrum sensing
Research teams of the same theme :
- AGORA - Wireless Networks for Digital Cities
- COATI - Combinatorics, Optimization and Algorithms for Telecommunications
- DANTE - Dynamic Networks : Temporal and Structural Capture Approach
- DIANA - Design, Implementation and Analysis of Networking Architectures
- DIONYSOS - Dependability Interoperability and perfOrmance aNalYsiS Of networkS
- DYOGENE - Dynamics of Geometric Networks
- EVA - Wireless Networking for Evolving & Adaptive Applications
- FUN - self-organizing Future Ubiquitous Network
- GANG - Networks, Graphs and Algorithms
- INFINE-POST - INFormation NEtworks
- MARACAS - Models and Algorithms for Reliable Communication Systems
- NEO - Network Engineering and Operations
- RESIST - Resilience and Elasticity for Security and ScalabiliTy of dynamic networked systems
- TRIBE - inTeRnet BEyond the usual