SARDES Research team
System architecture for reflective distributed computing environments
- Leader : Jean-bernard Stefani
- Research center(s) : CRI Grenoble - Rhône-Alpes
- Field : Networks, Systems and Services, Distributed Computing
- Theme : Distributed Systems and Services
- Partner(s) : CNRS,Institut polytechnique de Grenoble,Université Joseph Fourier (Grenoble)
- Collaborator(s) : Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble (LIG) (UMR5217)
Team presentationThe overall goal of the SARDES project-team is to investigate the construction of distributed software infrastructures (operating system and middleware) to support global computing. Global computing is concerned with a projected environment in which processors will be everywhere and will be interconnected by a diverse array of networks, from ad-hoc pico networks to the global Internet.
In this large scale, open, highly heterogeneous and highly dynamic context, the SARDES project-team aims to develop dependable and highly adaptable software infrastructures, by systematically leveraging component-based and reflective programming techniques.
Research themesResearch in the SARDES project-team is organized around 4 main themes. The first two themes (architecture and kernels) develop new software technology which is exploited by the other two themes (system management and mobile multimedia Web).
- Distributed reflective system architecture. This theme is concerned with the definition and formal specification of new distributed programming models and of architectural patterns for the construction of large scale open distributed systems
- Infrastructure kernels. This theme is concerned with the prototyping and experimental validation of distributed reflective kernels for different hardware and software environments (including PDAs and mobile phones, as well as PC clusters). Work on this theme proceeds at both the operating system and middleware levels.
- Distributed system management. This theme is concerned with the prototyping of monitoring, control and dynamic configuration management functions for large scale open distributed systems.
- Mobile multimedia Web infrastructure. This theme is concerned with the prototyping of adaptable infrastructures for new Web services implying mobile devices such as PDAs or mobile phones, and multimedia content.
International and industrial relationsThe SARDES project-team is involved in several national, international and industrial cooperations:
- IST network of excellence CaberNet.
- AIR-D virtual laboratory (with Philips and Thomson Multimedia).
- French RNRT projects Parol (with Evidian, France Telecom R&D, AFNOR), Phenix (with U. Paris 6).
- French RNTL Projects Arcad (with U. Nice, France Telecom R&D, Ecole des Mines de Nantes) and Impact (with Evidian, Schlumberger, France Telecom, U. Paris 6, U. Lille, etc).
Keywords: Distributed systems Operating systems Reflective systems System architecture Software architecture Distributed programming models Software components Component-based systems Object-based systems Adapt