PULSAR Research team
Perception Understanding Learning Systems for Activity Recognition
- Leader : François Brémond
- Research center(s) : CRI Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée
- Field : Perception, Cognition, Interaction
- Theme : Vision, Perception and Multimedia Understanding
The research project-team is focused on Activity Recognition. More precisely we are interested in the real-time semantic interpretation of dynamic scenes observed by sensors. We study long-term spatio-temporal activities performed by human beings, animals or vehicles in the physical world. The major issue in semantic interpretation of dynamic scenes is the gap between the subjective interpretation of data and the objective measures provided by the sensors.
Our approach in order to address this problem is to keep a clear boundary between the application dependent subjective interpretations and the objective general analysis of the videos. Pulsar proposes new techniques in the field of cognitive vision and cognitive systems for physical object recognition, activity understanding, activity learning, system design and evaluation. Pulsar focuses on two main application domains: safety/security and healthcare monitoring.
We have two main research themes:
- Scene understanding for activity recognition: scene understanding aims at solving the complete interpretation problem ranging from low level signal analysis to semantic description of what is happening in the scene viewed by video cameras and possibly other sensors. We work more particularly on perception, understanding and learning.
- Software architecture for activity recognition: this research direction consists in studying generic systems for activity recognition and in elaborating a methodology for their design. We wish to ensure genericity, modularity, re usability, extensibility, dependability, and maintainability. We work more particularly on models, platform architecture, and system safeness.
International and industrial relations
PULSAR is member of Eucognition network of excellence, European projects Caretaker, Serket and CoFriend, ANR VideoId.
Pulsar collaborates with academics: Univ. Reading (UK), Kingston (UK) , Hamburg,(D), Tainan (Taiwan),CSTB, CHU Nice, Inserm Marseille, INRA, CEA, CREAT, UNSA... as well as industrials Silogic, Thales, Keeneo, RATP...