MIMETIC Research team
Analysis-Synthesis Approach for Virtual Human Simulation
- Leader : Franck Multon
- Type : Project team
- Research center(s) : Rennes
- Field : Perception, Cognition and Interaction
- Theme : Interaction and visualization
- Partner(s) : Université Rennes 1,Université Haute Bretagne (Rennes 2),École normale supérieure de Rennes
- Collaborator(s) : Institut de recherche en informatique et systèmes aléatoires (IRISA) (UMR6074)
The MimeTIC research team focuses on designing methods for anlayzing human motion in ecological situation, and simulating virtual humans that behave in realistic manners and act with realistic motions. “Realistic” means that a real human would have behave and moved the same way in the same situation. It involves understanding how real people control their motion and behave in order to design models capable of generating realistic virtual humans. The main research axes of MimeTIC target Motion analysis, Biomechanics, Autonomous virtual humans, and Physical activity in virtual reality.
The main research axis in MimeTIC are:
- developing new technology to capture human performance in ecological (real) conditions, ranging from global trajectories to local joint motion
- designing new computer simulation methods to generate realistic (perceived as a motion that a real human could perform in the same situation)
- understanding how virtual reality could be used to analyze and train human performance. We especially focus on avatar simulation and perception.
International and industrial relations
MimeTIC addresses several main application domains in which human performance is involved: entertainment, sports, health, ergonomics, industrial workers... MimeTIC has strong collaborations with international research groups in motion analysis (such as MsKLab in Imperial College London UK), in computer graphics (such as Northumbria University UK, National Chengchi University Taiwan, Trinity College Dublin, University of Cyprus) and in Virtual Reality (Warwick University UK).
We also have several collaborations with industrial partners in computer graphics (Technicolor, SolidAnim) and manufacture industries such as Safran and Faurecia (a joint start-up company currently under construction).
Research teams of the same theme :
- ALICE-POST - Geometry and Lighting
- AVIZ - Analysis and Visualization
- EX-SITU - Extreme Situated Interacton
- GRAPHDECO - GRAPHics and DEsign with hEterogeneous COntent
- HYBRID - 3D interaction with virtual environments using body and mind
- ILDA - Interacting with Large Data
- IMAGINE - Intuitive Modeling and Animation for Interactive Graphics & Narrative Environments
- LOKI - Technology and knowledge for interaction
- MANAO - Melting the frontiers between Light, Shape and Matter
- MAVERICK - Models and Algorithms for Visualization and Rendering
- MFX - Matter From Graphics
- POTIOC - Popular interaction with 3d content
- TITANE - Geometric Modeling of 3D Environments