GRAPHIK Research team
GRAPHs for Inferences and Knowledge representation
- Leader : Marie laure Mugnier
- Type : Project team
- Research center(s) : Sophia
- Field : Perception, Cognition and Interaction
- Theme : Data and Knowledge Representation and Processing
- Partner(s) : CNRS,INRA,Université de Montpellier
- Collaborator(s) : Laboratoire d'informatique, de robotique et de microélectronique de Montpellier (LIRMM) (UMR5506)
GraphIK is a team created in 2010. It is located at LIRMM (Laboratory of Informatics Robotics and Microeclectronics of Montpellier) and involves researchers from INRIA, INRA and the University of Montpellier.
The main research domain of GraphIK is Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KRR). We follow a logic-oriented approach of the field but our specificity lies in our graph-based vision of KRR. GraphIK focuses on some of the main challenges in KRR, such as querying large knowledge bases, dealing with hybrid knowledge bases (i.e., composed of several modules having their own reasoning mechanisms), or reasoning with imperfect knowledge (i.e., vague, uncertain, partially inconsistent, ...).
Our objective is to study and develop KRR formalisms with properties of genericity, readability and algorithmic efficiency, and to validate them in real-world knowledge-based systems.
To reach this aim, we work along three complementary scientific axes. The first axe studies decidability, complexity and algorithms for languages corresponding to fragments of classical logic. The second axe extends these fragments to perform other kinds of reasoning, while keeping a good complexity/expressivity tradeoff. The third axe is devoted to integrating the theoretical tools into real-world knowledge-based systems.
International and industrial relations
- International (Research): King's College (UK), Univ. of Southampton (UK), Univ. of Karlsruhe (Germany), KMI Open University (UK), IIT-BAS (Bulgaria),
- International (R&D): Community Sense (Netherlands), MIMOS (Malaysia)
- National (R&D, industrial): ABES (Bibliographical French Agency for Universities), INA (National Institute for Audiovisual), Antidot, Mondeca
Research teams of the same theme :
- CEDAR - Rich Data Exploration at Cloud Scale
- DAHU - Verification in databases
- LACODAM - Large scale Collaborative Data Mining
- LINKS - Linking Dynamic Data
- MAGNET - Machine Learning in Information Networks
- MOEX - Evolving knowledge
- ORPAILLEUR - Knowledge representation, reasonning
- PETRUS - PErsonal & TRUSted cloud
- TYREX - Types and Reasoning for the Web
- VALDA - Value from Data
- WIMMICS - Web-Instrumented Man-Machine Interactions, Communities and Semantics
- ZENITH - Scientific Data Management