GRAPHDECO Research team
GRAPHics and DEsign with hEterogeneous COntent
Despite significant progress in Computer Graphics, HCI and Computer Vision, creating, manipulating and displaying high-quality visual content remains reserved to a small, well-trained professional elite. We believe that this difficult access is largely due to the core theoretical foundations of Computer Graphics, which were developed for accurate and complete synthetic content. The goal of GraphDeco is to redefine these foundations so they can simultaneously account for both traditional content as well as approximate and incomplete representations captured or produced by casual users. In particular, we plan to explore two main research directions:
- First, the design and artistic principles that guide the creation of visual content need to be automated and redesigned, facilitating professional practices and making such endeavors accessible to all.
- Second, a unified representation is required to develop new computer graphics models and algorithms capable of handling traditional synthetic content as well as inaccurate and incomplete captured data.
Images, often accompanied by sound effects, have become increasingly present in our everyday lives; this has resulted in greater needs for content creation. Despite the fact that many traditional means exist, such as photography, artistic graphic design, audio mixing, they typically still remain the reserve of the expert, and require significant investment in time and expertise.
Our main interest is computer image and sound synthesis, with an emphasis on automated methods. Our main goals include the simplification of the tasks required for the production of sound and images, as well as the development of new techniques for their generation.
Research teams of the same theme :
- ALICE - Geometry and Lighting
- AVIZ - Analysis and Visualization
- EX-SITU - Extreme Interaction
- HYBRID - 3D interaction with virtual environments using body and mind
- ILDA - Interacting with Large Data
- IMAGINE - Intuitive Modeling and Animation for Interactive Graphics & Narrative Environments
- MANAO - Melting the frontiers between Light, Shape and Matter
- MAVERICK - Models and Algorithms for Visualization and Rendering
- MIMETIC - Analysis-Synthesis Approach for Virtual Human Simulation
- MJOLNIR - COMPUTING TOOLS TO EMPOWER USER
- POTIOC - Popular interaction with 3d content
- TITANE - Geometric Modeling of 3D Environments