EPIDAURE Research team
Medical imaging and robotics
- Leader : Nicholas Ayache
- Research center(s) : CRI Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée
- Field : Biological systems
- Theme : Modeling and simulation in biology and medicine
The aim of the project is the development of new tools in Medical Imaging and Robotics.
The studied images are anatomical and functional images from : conventional radiology imagery, X-Ray Computed Tomography (CT), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (anatomical, functional and angiographic MRI), Isotopic Imaging (Spect and PET), Ultrasound Imaging, Histology Imaging, Monocular or Stereoscopic Video Imaging, etc.
Among the main research themes of the team, one can find the extraction of quantitative parameters (shape, texture) from images, image registration (temporal, multimodal, multi-subject...), the construction of anatomical and functional atlases from images, morphometry (statistics on shape and intensities), the analysis of the cardiac motion, the modeling of soft tissues for visual and haptic interaction, physiological models of organs, and the coupling of medical imaging and robotics.
Application domains are :
- Principal applications are for
- computer aided diagnosis,
- surgery simulation (which can imply virtual reality and robotics tools),
- image guided therapy (planning, control and follow-up), which can
- imply augmented reality and robotics tools.
International and industrial relations
Collaboration with industrial partners: General Electric Medical Systems, Mauna Kea Technologies, Medtronic, Mentice, Noesis, Nycomed, Philips, QuantifiCare, Sanofi, Siemens, etc. Collaborations with hospitals: IRCAD (Strasbourg), Pitié-Salpétrière (Paris), CHU of Nice...