DECENTRALISE Research team
- Leader : Hans Grothoff
- Research center(s) : CRI Rennes - Bretagne Atlantique
- Field : Algorithmics, Programming, Software and Architecture
- Theme : Security and Confidentiality
Our goal is the design, implementation and evaluation of secure network protocols to build a decentralised, privacy-preserving, secure global communication infrastructure.
In the context of the GNUnet project, we will develop protocols for resilient networking, Byzantine fault-tolerant routing (including multicast), secure random peer sampling and secure multiparty computation. Using those building blocks, we create decentralised applications to enable users to cooperate without the need for a trusted third party. In particular, we are interested in social networking applications (messaging), news distribution (event distribution and ranking), search and cooperative constraint solving.
In the context of Taler, we are trying to create a sustainable business for facilitating ethical online payments using free software and open standards. Our ultimate goal is to create a future Internet, which provides a maximum of security and privacy for citizens, makes mass surveillance technically impossible.
International and industrial relations
We cooperate with:
- The GNU project, by writing free software and maintaining GNU packages and promoting ethical behavior
- TU Munich: Prof. Carle (network architectures and services)
- The Tor Project (informative discussions, meetings)
We are funded by:
- The RenewableFreedom foundation (GNUnet)
- Inria (Team)