AVALON Research team
Algorithms and Software Architectures for Distributed and HPC Platforms
- Leader : Christian Perez
- Type : Project team
- Research center(s) : Grenoble
- Field : Networks, Systems and Services, Distributed Computing
- Theme : Distributed and High Performance Computing
- Partner(s) : Université Claude Bernard (Lyon 1),Ecole normale supérieure de Lyon,CNRS
- Collaborator(s) : Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme (LIP) (UMR5668)
The Avalon research team is a joint group between INRIA, CNRS, ENS Lyon, the University Claude Bernard Lyon 1, and the University of Lyon. The long term goal of the Avalon team is to contribute to the design of programming models supporting a lot of architecture kinds, to implement it by mastering the various algorithmic issues involved, and by studying the impact on application-level algorithms. Ideally, an application should be written once; the complexity is to determine the adequate level of abstraction to provide a simple programming model to the developer while enabling efficient execution on a wide range of architectures.
The challenge is to design models, systems, and algorithms to execute applications on resources while ensuring user constraints (price, performance, etc.) as well as system administrator constraints (maximizing resource usage, minimizing energy consumption, etc.). The team focuses in particular in energy and data intensive application profiling and modelization, data management, component based application description, and application mapping and scheduling.
Theoretical results of the team are validated with simulations and real experiments on Grid'5000 or production platforms.
Research teams of the same theme :
- ALPINES - Algorithms and parallel tools for integrated numerical simulations
- DATAMOVE - Data Aware Large Scale Computing
- HIEPACS - High-End Parallel Algorithms for Challenging Numerical Simulations
- KERDATA - Scalable Storage for Clouds and Beyond
- POLARIS - Performance analysis and optimization of LARge Infrastructures and Systems
- ROMA - Optimisation des ressources : modèles, algorithmes et ordonnancement
- STORM - STatic Optimizations, Runtime Methods
- TADAAM - Topology-Aware System-Scale Data Management for High-Performance Computing