ALCOVE Research team
Collaborative interactive virtual environment
- Leader : Christophe Chaillou
- Research center(s) : CRI Lille - Nord Europe
- Field : Perception, Cognition, Interaction
- Theme : Interaction and Visualization
- Partner(s) : Université des sciences et technologies de Lille (Lille 1),CNRS,Université Charles de Gaulle (Lille 3)
- Collaborator(s) : U. LILLE 1 (USTL), CNRS, U. LILLE 3 (UCDG)
Team presentationThe development of 3D models (geometric models, reconstruction, mechanical models for deformable objects...) touches a larger and larger application field. For example, in the medical field, the use of patient data for 3D reconstruction is booming and this is opening up major perspectives in medicine. The next step resides in insufflating mechanical behaviors to those geometric data in order to simulate realistic deformations during interactions.
The tools given to the end-user for interacting with the mechanical model are still basic. These past years, numerous works have been done to provide a better sense of immersion using virtual reality devices. Visual representation is of a good quality, but interactions remain unsatisfying.
In parallel, a high demand exist for developing collaborative works on 3D models. A particularly difficult problem is to define a convincing representation of the distant users. Moreover, this representation should give the possibilities to communicate as naturally as possible to a real meeting and to have a good perception of other's actions on the shared models.
Research themesIn this context, ALCOVE's main objective is to define new tools for interacting and collaborating on 3D models, by focusing on three research themes:
- Animation and simulation by looking at interactions on physical deformable models.
- Physical models for real time simulation: - New mechanical models, especially for thread-like object.
- Models interaction: - Integrating different models into a simulator.
- Virtual reality by proposing new interaction and collaboration possibilities in a non-immersive environment.
- Tactile stimulators: - Study of finger/surface interactions through models and measures.
- Collaborative virtual environments (CVE): - Activity centered environments.
- Human-Machine Interfaces by looking at 3D interfaces conception.
- New metaphors, techniques and devices for interaction
- New concepts using physical properties
- 3D applications manager
- Cutting and tearing.
- Mechanical identification.
- Collisions and contacts management.
- New technical solutions to conceive effectors.
- Co localized human groups collaboration.
- New frameworks based on adaptive components.
International and industrial relationsApplication oriented collaborations:
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- IEMN (Opto Acousto Electronique department)
- Liama and University of Suceava
- LERI (University of Reims), LSIIT and Ircad (Strasbourg), University of Poitiers
- Asclepios, Evasion, Magrite, Bunraku, Iparla, I3D and InSitu for INRIA