Sites Inria

Version française

Open Acess

AB - 6/11/2015

Inria champions Open Access

Inria

Inria reaffirms its official position regarding the deposit of written productions on an open access basis. The primary concern is the requirement to deposit the full text of all Inria project teams’ publications in HAL, the open archive.

Open access – an Inria priority

In January 2013, Inriamanagement issued a requirement that all its researchers and project teams deposit their publications in HAL, the national platform. In that context, only those publications, metadata and full texts deposited in HAL are taken into account for project teams’ activity reports (Raweb) and for their scientific evaluation.

The institute’s proactive policy on deposit in open archives has three objectives:

  • Increase the visibility of Inria publications by making them available in open access as soon as possible, thus helping to both increase the references to the work and facilitate the dissemination of knowledge ;
  • Establish a legacy corpus of Inria publications, which would otherwise be distributed in fragmentary fashion among various commercial sites, without any guarantee that it would be perpetuated and without the opportunity to use the data consistently (for example, data mining); and,
  • Contribute to the overall development of mechanisms for publishing scientific results by integrating the functions of referencing, archiving and sharing in the infrastructure of the institutions of higher education and research. The long-term goal is to make it possible to decouple the functions of publication and peer certification.

For full and protected access to research data

Inria’s process is based on the 2005 policy that encourages the deposit of publications in HAL and on continuous investment to improve the performance and services of the HAL platform, developed within the UMS CCSD. (Inria became a joint supervisor of this platform in 2015). It also refers to the official position of the Ministry of Higher Education and Research, which emphasizes deposit in open archives as a tool of its open access policy. The European Commission also requires that projects financed under the Horizon 2020 programme provide a version of the corresponding publications on an open access basis.

The referencing of Inria publications in HAL grew rapidly in the last five years and all such publications are now referenced there (only 62% are full-text deposits, with just the metadata of the remaining 38% referenced). Inria’s objective is thus to achieve a stabilized rate of full-text deposit as close as possible to 100%. Project team members must thus consider the deposit of the full text of the publication as a requirement.

Inria believes that publishers should not define the terms and conditions of the dissemination of scientific publications,although researchers, research organisations and support agencies are responsible for conducting and funding the critical phases (research, writing, peer review and dissemination of results) of the production of knowledge. The deposit requirement is thus uniform, regardless of the scientific publisher and its stated policy, specifically with regard to embargo. In line with its policy of open dissemination of research results and in the absence of a signed publishing contract that explicitly excludes deposit in open archives, Inria’s position is thus to accept the systematic deposit, as soon as possible, of the fulltext of the author’s version after peer review of articles accepted at conferences or by journals.

To ensure the best possible balance between achieving maximum reuse of the published content and ensuring that results are attributed properly to their authors, Inria recommends the use of the Creative Commons with Attribution (CC-BY) licence for all deposits in HAL.

Keywords: Open Access Open Access HAL-Inria Hal-Inria

Top