Evaluation by Hcéres
Inria is evaluated every four years by an independent administrative authority, the High Council for Research and Higher Education (Hcérès), which publishes a report on each institution and research unit it evaluates.
The High Council for Evaluation of Research and Higher Education (Hcéres) is an independent administrative authority.
Hcéres seeks to follow best international practice in the performance of its missions. With regard to evaluation criteria, its methods are based, on principles of objectivity, transparency and equal treatment for all organisations assessed, and, with regard to the selection of the individuals responsible for evaluations, on world-class scientific expertise, neutrality and balance in the representation of themes and opinions. Hcéres seeks to prevent conflicts of interest in the composition of the expert committees responsible for carrying out evaluations. It may perform evaluations directly or verify the quality of evaluations performed by other bodies by validating the procedures used. Hcéres enables the organisations and institutions that it evaluates directly to present, at their request, observations throughout the evaluation procedure, and at its conclusion.
Hcéres is responsible for:
- evaluating higher education institutions and groupings, research bodies, scientific cooperation foundations and the French National Research Agency, or, where applicable, overseeing the quality of evaluations carried out by other bodies;
- evaluating research units on request from the overseeing institution, in the absence of validation of evaluation procedures or in the absence of a decision by the overseeing institution to use another evaluation body or, where applicable, to have validated research unit evaluation procedures carried out by other bodies.
If a unit is overseen by more than one institution, only one evaluation shall be carried out. If the institutions jointly decide to use another evaluation body, Hcéres shall validate the evaluation procedures used by this body. In the absence of a joint decision by the institutions to use another body, or in the event that the evaluation procedures are not validated, Hcéres shall evaluate the research unit;
- evaluating the programmes and degrees offered by higher education institutions or, where applicable, validating evaluation procedures developed by other bodies.
- ensuring that all missions defined by law and the specific status of higher education and research personnel is taken into account in their evaluations;
- ensuring that activities relating to the dissemination of scientific, technical and industrial culture are properly taken into account in the career progression of higher education and research personnel;
- conducting a posteriori evaluation of investment programmes and private bodies receiving public funding for research or higher education.
Hcéres may also take part in evaluating foreign or international research and higher education organisations, under European or international cooperation programmes or at the request of the competent authorities.
Hcéres also includes a Science and Technology Observatory (OST) responsible for strategic research and analysis.