Sites Inria

Version française

Join us!

Become a civil servant at Inria

stand-up meeting © Inria / Photo C. Morel

As a public scientific and technological institute, Inria employs scientific and research support staff as civil servants.

Information (careers, career paths, etc.) about this status is available on the Inria website as well as the websites of the MESR (Ministry of Research) and th) and the Civil service.

External and internal competitive exams

Access to the branches of researchers and senior researchers is by means of a competitive exam based on degrees and work. At Inria, these competitive exams generally take place at the beginning of the year.

Access to the branch of engineers and research support technicians is by external and internal competitive exams.

Mobility within the civil service

A transfer can be prepared as part of the development of a professional project.
Each year, Inria recruits civil servants from the three divisions of the civil service on assignment, either as researchers (as part of the campaign opened at the beginning of the year) or as engineers and technicians (as part of the vacancies posted throughout the year).

Branches, grades and remuneration

Researchers and Senior Researchers

Researchers are permanent civil servants appointed by the director general of the public scientific and technological institute in which they were recruited.

Senior researchers , in addition to the missions assigned to researchers, are responsible for designing, leading or coordinating research or its commercialisation. They have at least seven years’ experience in research after completing a PhD.

Advancement is automatic, based on seniority. Seniority bonuses may be granted to researchers who are willing to relocate.

Engineers and technicians in research support functions

The research support functions include several branches and ranks, the details of which are as follows:
Research engineers of normal or exceptional class are in category A.

  • the degrees required to access these branches: PhD or engineering degree from the grandes écoles or universities.

Design engineers of normal or exceptional class are in category A.

  • degrees required to access this branch: engineering degree, master's degree, maîtrise, bachelor's degree.

Engineer assistants are in category A.

  • degrees required to access this branch: two-year qualifying degree (BTS or DUT) or university diploma of scientific studies (DEUST).

Research technicians of normal, superior, or exceptional class are in category B.

  • degrees required to access this branch: DEUG (general university diploma) and baccalauréat (general certificate of education, A-levels)

Access to the exceptional class is by professional selection or choice. Access to first class is by choice. Change in level is based on seniority.

Keywords: Career Recruitment Remuneration Civil servant