Sites Inria

Version française

Post-doctoral research fellowships

Frequently asked questions

Do I have to have had my viva/defended my thesis before I submit my application?

You must have had your viva/defended your thesis within last year, this year or must be scheduled to do so before the end of the year. In all cases, you must have had your viva/defended your thesis before taking up a position.

My PhD doesn't concern the ICST field, but I am interested in the ICST applications field. Can I still apply for a post-doc at Inria?

Yes, you can apply for a post-doc at Inria even if your main research field does not concern ICST. The research done at Inria has applications in fields as varied as medicine, biology, transport, town and country planning, linguistics, etc. Depending on the research areas being pursued, our teams may include doctors, psychologists, linguists and so on.

May I suggest my own post-doc subject?

Yes. In exceptional cases, the research project-team leaders may consider proposals on original subjects.

I have been accepted for a post-doctoral fellowship of one to two years in an Inria team. What is my place within this team?

As a post-doctoral researcher, you are a fully-fledged researcher in your host team. As such, you will play a full role in the activities of the group, publishing articles, participating in seminars and conferences, etc.

What are my career prospects after a post-doc at Inria?

Once you join Inria, you will be able to find out about recruitment possibilities in public research in France. Your research centre’s human resources department and your team leader will help you to clarify your career path and your personal plan.

My work as a post-doc leads to the creation of a software application. Who has property rights over this software?

Under French law, software is considered to be an intellectual work and the rights that attach to it are as follows:

  • Firstly, moral rights (principally, the right to the name): these are perpetual and inalienable. They remain vested in you whatever happens.
  • Secondly, economic rights (performance, reproduction, translation, adaptation rights, etc.): these are normally granted to the employer. You may be required to sign a document making Inria the holder of these economic rights.

At the end of my post-doc, I would like to apply the results of my research within a business. How should I go about this?

Inria can help you to create or participate in the creation of a start-up. This is part of its technology transfer policy.

 How much will I be paid?

€2,653 per month gross, before France’s mandatory social security contributions are deducted.

Will I be entitled to unemployment benefit after my contract expires?

Yes, Inria pays contributions for this purpose.

Do I get health insurance?

Yes, you are covered by the French social security system.

I don’t speak French. Can Inria help me get courses?

Yes. Inria will run courses for international staff or help you to enrol in a language course. In addition, many people at Inria speak English and you will have no trouble integrating when you arrive.

How can I find accommodation?

If you are coming from abroad, you can wish to visit the following website:

They provide practical information about moving to France. However, you are advised to plan your arrival in advance and to get in touch with the research team you will be joining, who may be able to help you with your arrangements.

I am coming to France with my family: what do I need to do?

You may receive child benefit (Inria pays contributions to the State for this purpose). You may also enrol your children in an international school. Ask the research team you will be joining about the local options.

Can I get my Inria salary paid into my foreign bank account?

No, you must open an account in France.

Do I need a passport? Do I need a tourist visa? Do I need to get a residence permit?

You need to have a valid passport for at least the duration of your stay 6 months. The administrative formalities for foreign scientists to enter in France (visas, residence permits) are described on the Alfred Kastler Foundation website. The human resources department of your host research centre will help you with these administrative formalities.

Keywords: Researcher Post-doctoral research fellowships Recruitment