HYCON2 Show day - Traffic Modeling, Estimation and Control
HYCON 2 (Highly-complex and networked control systems) is a EU FP7 Network of Excellence. It aims at stimulating and establishing the long-term integration of the European research community, leading institutions and industry in the strategic field of control of complex, large-scale, and networked dynamical systems. HYCON2 has identified several applications, among which a show-case on “Traffic Modeling, Estimation and Control”.
- Date : 13/05/2014
- Place : Inria Grenoble - Rhône-Alpes
This show-day will present methods and results for the traffic show-case application, which corresponds to the operation of the freeway network around the Grenoble area; the selected road is Grenoble South Ring (Rocade sud). This research activity has been performed thanks to the use of the Grenoble Traffic Lab (GTL) initiative: a traffic data center (platform) that collects traffic road-infrastructure information in real time. Sensed information comes from a dense wireless sensor network deployed on Grenoble South Ring, providing macroscopic traffic signals such as flows, velocities, etc.
Some specific tasks realized during this project are:
- Building the traffic data center with magnetic data (data collection, web interface);
- Building the show room (display screens, simulators );
- Calibrating a microscopic simulator from macroscopic data;
- Identifying and classifying a set of specific control and estimation problems;
- Devising innovative methods for: modeling, estimation, and control for the show case;
- Evaluating the proposed solutions with real data when possible, and with synthetic data from the microscopic simulator otherwise.
The partners of HYCON2 actively involved in this activity have been: NeCS Grenoble (INRIA/CNRS), Univ. Pavia, Univ. L’Aquila, TU Delft, Univ. Sevilla, Lund Univ. Moreover, a strong collaboration has been developed with Univ. Genova.
Hycon2 get-together dinner: on Monday 12/5, Hycon2 members can gather for a dinner in Grenoble downtown.