You come from abroad and you want to join Inria team
Find here all the practical informations for your arrival
General information for international guests
- Fondation Kastler (FNAK)
- Université de Bordeaux Mobility Centre
- Foreign Guests Club (FGC)
- Brochure from Université de Bordeaux 2
Any visit, even a short one, by a non-citizen of the European union, needs to be prepared quite some time in advance ; both INRIA and the university (if the stay is in one of the university labs and not only the INRIA building) need to ask for security clearance from the defense security officer, which can take up to two months.
The team assistant can help with visa and work permit (carte de séjour) matters , handled through the Université de Bordeaux Mobility Centre.
Finding a place is the first obvious problem. Real estate agencies exist all over town, but take fees (usually one month's rent).
- Legal information from FNAK.
- For short stays (weeks or months), the Centre Prévost Haut Carré on campus, the Cercle des Universitaires and Teneo Talence can be booked by the team assistant.
- CROUS runs the official student residences.
- Centre Régional Information Jeunesse Aquitaine (CIJA) has rental advertisements.
- Adele has rental advertisements for students.
- Advertisements to rent directly from owners or agencies can also be found on Lokaviz (managed by CROUS), Leboncoin.fr, De particulier à particulier and Seloger.com.
- Flat sharing.
Owners often ask for additional securities such as a warrantor who agrees to pay the rent in case of difficulties
- CLÉ Aquitaine helps PhD students and postdocs.
- Garantie des risques locatifs is an insurance underwritten by the owner.
- FGC has information for students.
- FNAK proposes contracts for foreign visitors who are affiliated or not with the French social security system.
The French tax office provides detailed information in English
Inria organises French lessons , enquire with the team assistant
- FGC organises free French classes run by volunteers and has extensive information on other offers.
- Alliance française Bordeaux Aquitaine proposes paid French courses.
If you have a work contract with Inria, your employer reimburses 50% of your yearly subscription for the tram and bus system , or your train subscription between your residence and your work place; enquire with the team assistant.
- Vcub, the public bike rental system.
- Maison du vélo provides information on biking in Bordeaux and offers free bike rentals for up to year
- Autocool, car rental for occasional use.
Social and cultural life
Yours to discover!
- For employees of INRIA, AGOS (on the first floor of the INRIA building) offers reduced tickets for cinemas (Megarama, UGC Bordeaux, CGR Villenave and Bordeaux, gaumont Talence and nation-wide; Tickets proximité for cinemas in the region, CGR Pau), the swimming pool of Talence Thouars , some amusement parks in the region ; and partial reimbursement of theatre , music and amusement park tickets . In special cases, they also reimburse part of the house moving cost.
- The AGOS library with comics and travel guides, staffed by volunteers, is open to everyone
- Foreign Guests Club organises visits bowlings , wine tasting parties and excursions for foreigners , their family and friends.
- Appellation Origine Campus runs a community garden on campus.
- Cultural activities for students organised by CROUS.
- Cultural activities of Université Bordeaux 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- Bordeaux tourist office.
- Opera and concert hall of Bordeaux.
- Concert programme.
- Utopia, cinema art et essai.
- Cinema programme.