GRAPHIK Research team
GRAPHs for Inferences and Knowledge representation
- Leader : Marie-Laure Mugnier
- Type : Project team
- Research center(s) : Sophia
- Field : Perception, Cognition, Interaction
- Theme : Knowledge and Data Representation and Management
- Université des sciences et techniques du Languedoc (Montpellier 2), INRA, CNRS, Laboratoire d'informatique, de robotique et de microélectronique de Montpellier (LIRMM) (UMR5506)
GraphIK is a team created in 2010. It is located at LIRMM (Laboratory of Informatics Robotics and Microeclectronics of Montpellier) and involves researchers from INRIA, INRA and the University of Montpellier.
The main research domain of GraphIK is Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KRR). We follow a logic-oriented approach of the field but our specificity lies in our graph-based vision of KRR. GraphIK focuses on some of the main challenges in KRR, such as querying large knowledge bases, dealing with hybrid knowledge bases (i.e., composed of several modules having their own reasoning mechanisms), or reasoning with imperfect knowledge (i.e., vague, uncertain, partially inconsistent, ...).
Our objective is to study and develop KRR formalisms with properties of genericity, readability and algorithmic efficiency, and to validate them in real-world knowledge-based systems.
To reach this aim, we work along three complementary scientific axes. The first axe studies decidability, complexity and algorithms for languages corresponding to fragments of classical logic. The second axe extends these fragments to perform other kinds of reasoning, while keeping a good complexity/expressivity tradeoff. The third axe is devoted to integrating the theoretical tools into real-world knowledge-based systems.
International and industrial relations
- International (Research): King's College (UK), Univ. of Southampton (UK), Univ. of Karlsruhe (Germany), KMI Open University (UK), IIT-BAS (Bulgaria),
- International (R&D): Community Sense (Netherlands), MIMOS (Malaysia)
- National (R&D, industrial): ABES (Bibliographical French Agency for Universities), INA (National Institute for Audiovisual), Antidot, Mondeca
Research teams of the same theme :
- AXIS - Usage-centered design, analysis and improvement of information systems
- DAHU - Verification in databases
- DREAM - Diagnosing, Recommending Actions and Modelling
- EXMO - Computer mediated exchange of structured knowledge
- LINKS - Linking Dynamic Data
- MAGNET - Machine Learning in Information Networks
- MAIA - Autonomous intelligent machine
- OAK - Database optimizations and architectures for complex large data
- ORPAILLEUR - Knowledge representation, reasonning
- SMIS - Secured and Mobile Information Systems
- TYREX - Types and reasoning for the web
- WIMMICS - Web-Instrumented Man-Machine Interactions, Communities and Semantics
- ZENITH - Scientific Data Management