EIT ICT Labs
EIT ICT Labs calls for high-growth European startups active in digital technologies to apply for the 2015 edition of its Idea Challenge contest. The call for application is open from May 6 till July 6. Successful applicants win up to 40,000 Euro and benefit from the pan-European Business Development Accelerator of EIT ICT Labs to become European success stories.
Research and Teaching
Can machines learn for themselves? INRIA researcher Michal Valko is convinced of it. It’s an idea he is passing on to his students in the prestigious MVA Master’s course run by ENS Cachan.
International - BIS 2015
The annual BIS (Berkeley-Inria-Stanford) workshop is part of the Inria@SiliconValley program. It is co-organized by Inria and its partners in California. The objectives of the workshop are to present the current status of ongoing scientific collaborations and to work on proposals for future ambitious joint projects.
BIS’2015 is organized in partnership with CITRIS, on May 12-14, 2015.
Some precisions by Hélène Kirchner, director of Inria International Relations:
Jean-François Abramatic, President of W3C from 1996 to 2001, is currently adviser to INRIA’s Deputy Director General for Industrial Transfers and Partnerships. On the occasion of the twentieth anniversary of the W3C, the body responsible for standardisation of the Web, he reviews the history of W3C and the new challenges he is facing on behalf of the consortium.
The MOOC « Code-Based Cryptography » will be available on May, 25 2015 on the platform France Université Numérique. It will be taught by Irène Marquez-Corbella, Nicolas Sendrier from the SECRET Team (Inria) and Matthieu Finiasz (CryptoExpert).
Inria Industry Meeting
On Monday 11th May 2015, a new edition of Inria Industry Meetings will be held on the theme of Smart City & Mobility Innovations, organized by Inria, Inria@SiliconValley and PRIME.
Available soon on the platform France Université Numérique (FUN): a MOOC on «Mobile Robots and Autonomous Vehicles», by Inria-uTOP. Registrations are open.
The Institute jointly organizes with the French Embassy in Japan, CNRS, NICT and Keio University, a workshop devoted to cybersecurity that will be held in Tokyo on April 1st and 3rd, 2015.
In the press
“SET a thief to catch a thief.” Security-conscious companies, from banks to newspapers, often hire, if not thieves, then the analogues of thieves, to test their computer systems for weaknesses. These professional hackers, called penetration testers, poke and prod at their clients’ systems. If they find a way in, they inform the client, who can then fix the problem. Penetration testing, though, is expensive—for the skills required to be a good tester are rare. That is why a French firm called Cryptosense is hoping to automate the job.
The Inria Lille - Nord Europe project-team Bonsai (run jointly with the CNRS and Université Lille1*) has created Vidjil, software for high-throughput analysis of white blood cells. Objective: provide physicians with a tool for treating leukemia. As March 28 and 29 are national leukemia days in France, the creators of Vidjil took this opportunity to explain how it works.
Inria Research Centers
- Christine Morin, laureate of the “Étoiles de l’Europe”’s prize
- Florence Bertails-Descoubes: From a real object to its virtual avatar
- Inria supports the development of digital Humanities through DARIAH
- Inria at the NEM Summit in Brussels
- New research synergies between Lille and northern Europe
- Engineer recruitment campaign: 46 positions to be filled in 2015
- PhD positions : 2015 recruitment campaign under way
- Campaign "Research Positions": Inria is hiring 7 researchers
- Available soon on FUN: a MOOC on Semantic Web, by Inria-uTOP
- 2015 Competitive recruitment of young graduate scientists and senior researchers
- Computer Science and Applied Mathematics Prizewinners' Forum, please register !
- Alexander Zeh (Grace), winner of the Special Prize of the Jury of the UFA for his thesis
- Disturbances on inria.fr on Monday, December 1st
- François Fages awarded the Michel Monpetit Prize
- Director of European and International Partnerships