Maciej Krupa: "I have discovered an environment that enables people to carry out fundamental and applied research.”
Of Polish origin, and having lived in Canada, the United States and the Netherlands, Maciej Krupa is a mathematician specialising in the field of mathematics applied to the neurosciences. He joined Inria in 2012, on one of the very first "Advanced Research Positions" contracts within the Mycenae team. Here he looks back on his experience at the institute.
Elif Koksal is a PhD student at Inria coming from Turkey. She works in the Mycenae research team in the Inria Paris-Rocquencourt research centre. In this interview she speaks of her background and her work at the institute.
Three open days to make the SophiaTech Campus more attractive in the eyes of students across the Mediterranean basin
For the last twenty years or so in France, it has become increasingly difficult to attract young people to study sciences and to do PhD. In Sophia Antipolis, the key players in higher education and research are joining forces to give their activities greater visibility. Supported by partnerships with foreign universities, they hope to attract new talented students to their courses and laboratories.
It is with great sadness that we learned that Robert B. France passed away last Sunday, 15 February. Robert France was 54. He was Professor at Colorado State University (CSU) and held an Inria International Chair, which meant that he made regular trips to Rennes. Inria pays tribute to our dearly departed colleague, a distinguished researcher and a lovely person.
Thanks to the dedication of the Nord-Pas de Calais Regional Council and the Métropole Européenne de Lille, the Inria Lille - Nord Europe Research Center is getting ready to test out a new technology transfer platform, called InriaTech. As of mid-2015, around ten engineers will be on call to develop the transfer of research to local innovating SMEs. David Simplot-Ryl, Director of the Inria Lille - Nord Europe Research Center, explains all.
"Yellowbird, ready for take off" (French title: "Gus, petit oiseau, grand voyage") was released on 4 February. Beneath the surface of this contemporary cartoon, the 3D animated film took many long months for animation studio TeamTO to produce, working in association with Imagine, the Inria project team based at the Grenoble - Rhône-Alpes Research Centre. Jean-Baptiste Spieser, TeamTO Technical Director, and François Faure, Professor at Grenoble University and researcher in the Imagine team, explain.
- INRIA Grenoble - Rhône-Alpes
- Animated movie
- Imagine team
European Research Council
Proving theorem and software correctness are the two raisons d'être of proof assistants. Coq, the result of a 25-year project driven by Inria, has become a preeminent tool in this domain. Yet, a recent breakthrough in mathematics by Fields medal Vladimir Voevosdky has opened the door to a huge improvement of formal verification. Inria scientist Nicolas Tabareau is being granted funding by the European Research Council (ERC) in order to explore how this finding could indeed pave the way to a novel and much enhanced version of Coq. As he explains, this work is expected to have a very strong impact and spread the use of this proof assistant across the industry.
European Research Council 2014
Can we guarantee the accuracy in numerical simulations? And can we make the different components of numerical algorithms interact more efficiently so as to speed-up the present-day simulations up to orders of magnitude? These are the questions asked in the European Research Council (ERC) consolidator project GATIPOR (Guaranteed fully adaptive algorithms with tailored inexact solvers for complex porous media flows) of Martin Vohralík.
Inria Research Centers
- Christine Morin, laureate of the “Étoiles de l’Europe”’s prize
- Florence Bertails-Descoubes: From a real object to its virtual avatar
- Inria supports the development of digital Humanities through DARIAH
- Inria at the NEM Summit in Brussels
- New research synergies between Lille and northern Europe
- PhD positions : 2015 recruitment campaign under way
- Campaign "Research Positions": Inria is hiring 7 researchers
- Available soon on FUN: a MOOC on Semantic Web, by Inria-uTOP
- 2015 Competitive recruitment of young graduate scientists and senior researchers
- Computer Science and Applied Mathematics Prizewinners' Forum, please register !
- Alexander Zeh (Grace), winner of the Special Prize of the Jury of the UFA for his thesis
- Disturbances on inria.fr on Monday, December 1st
- Director of European and International Partnerships
- Inria and Mitacs launch student exchange programme
- Inria at the NEM Summit in Brussels